From their start in 1811, until their separation in 1874, the congregations of St. John’s Lutheran Church and the Church of the Good Shepherd Reformed Church in Boyertown, PA shared a building at the present site of Good Shepherd UCC. In 1874 both congregations constructed their respective buildings at their current locations. Both churches featured high steeples, as was the common custom of the day.
In 1920,the prominent steeple on Good Shepherd Church was removed, and a tower clock was placed in the belfry. The first time recorded on the clock was 2:30 on July 10, 1920. Members of the church as well as citizens of the community contributed to the initial cost. The tower clock soon came to be called the Town Clock and is a recognizable landmark in Boyertown. After World War II, the Borough of Boyertown assumed responsibility for the continual maintenance of the clock.
Over the years, work has been done to upgrade the clock. In 1946 the clock was electrified and more recently the lighting was changed and the faces painted. But, unfortunately for over three years now, the bell no longer rings. The clock’s hands were also damaged in a storm and some are even missing entirely.
A survey by an engineer in 2009 revealed the need for major masonry work to stabilize the tower itself. This has brought us to the decision to embark on a major restoration project on the clock, tower, and bell.
Our goal is to not only replace the clock faces and hear the bells ring, but re-establish the clock back to its prominence as the Boyertown icon that it once was.